Monday 23 February 2015

The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction by Alan Jacobs - BookReport #129

I guess I was expecting something else when I started reading this book. Instead of something that would give some insights into modern day reading what I got was a dry and ultimately uninteresting examination into the history and nature of reading itself.

The author explores the different kinds of attention needed depending on the types of texts being read. Fiction needs a different kind of focus than does a history or textbook. 


He did say one thing though; read for pleasure; follow your Whims (yes he capitalized this to separate this from blindly clicking on Facebook and Twitter links). I took his advice and, 15 pages from the end, abandoned this exceedingly tedious book.

Alan Jacobs
 


No comments: