Saturday 3 May 2014

Short Story Saturdays

Now that I'm well in to my 52 book challenge I find myself wanting to read some of the short stuff too.

I have found that this type of fiction is a challenge for me, not so much in the reading of an individual tale, but in the switching of gears when I'm on to the next one.  In good stories, I find my imagination is immersed in the world created by the author and I find it jarring when I come to the end and have to learn a whole new world for the next story.

To give my imagination time to re-set I've chosen to read one short a week.  This also poses a problem, one of an abundance of choice; I have an entire shelf of books filled with collected short stories and I have subscribed to Analog Magazine for 10 years, all of which have remained unread.

With novels, I sometimes suffer through too much exposition; with short stories I find myself at the conclusion just when I was getting comfortable in the setting.  I find both forms interesting since they demand different things from the reader.

In any case I find the 52 week challenge is having the wonderful side effect of making me want to read more. 

I am looking forward to discovering more authors.

No comments: